Category Archives: Pius XI

Canonization of St. Louise de Marillac – Account of March 15, 1934

(From “Chronicle of the American Sisters of the Eastern Province of the Canonization of St. Louise” [1934], used with permission of the Daughters of Charity Provincial Archives)
March 15 [1934] – Feast of Saint Louise. Two Masses. For breakfast an extra sugar bun and chocolate, if desired. At 9:00 our Most Honored Father offered the Holy Sacrifice at Saint Andrea’s. This gave space enough for the Sisters to attend in a body. The assembly was impressive and the occasion joyful for we felt as one great family that had been re-united. The Ladies of Charity and the Louisettes were also there as our auxiliaries in saving God’s poor … All the musical program for the Triduum was rendered by the Schola Cantorum, directed by the Right Reverend Monsignor Rallaolo Casimiri, Leader of the Lateran Church Choir. It was wonderful to look up at the altar and see our Father officiating at the glorious function, sharing these great honors and dignities and to know nad feel that we are his children in Saint Vincent and Saint Louise …

With this entry we close our series on the canonization of St. Louise de Marillac. Hope you enjoyed it!

Leave a comment

Filed under Church History, Feast Days, Louise de Marillac, Pius XI

Canonization of St. Louise de Marillac: Account of March 14, 1934

(From “Chronicle of the American Sisters of the Eastern Province of the Canonization of St. Louise” [1934], used with permission of the Daughters of Charity Provincial Archives)

March 14 [1934] – The Very Reverend John J. Cronin, D.D., C.M., Director of the Western Province, said Mass here at 7:30. We had heard the Community Mass at 6:00 and at 10:00 we assisted at the Triduum Solemn Pontifical Mass celebrated at St. Andrea’s by His Eminence Cardinal John Verdier, Cardinal-Archbishop of Paris. It is not an exaggeration to say that the crowd numbered 3,000 person. The ceremonies were beautifully accomplished, the music formed an emotional and aesthetic background; devotion was sincere. All in all, it was another triumph for Saint Louise.

Dinner at noon, a few minutes of relaxation and then the way of the Cross at the Coliseum [sic] … It was our first experience in a Roman tram, but, going and coming we enjoyed the novelty of being jostled, pulled, yelled at, and thrown on two or three persons before we finished the trip. We entered the Coliseum with a feeling of profound reverence and made our way over the area to the cross in the center which many years ago had been removed by Garibaldi but which Benito Mussolini has replaced. The base bears the name of Il Duce …

Tonight the Triduum at St. Andrea closed in glory. After the recitation of the Rosary, His Eminence, Cardinal Emilio Pacelli, Secretary of State to His Holiness, pronounced the Panegyric and it was masterly in every detail. Solemn Benediction was given by Cardinal Alessandro Verde, Penant of the Cause. The Te Deum was intoned and its triumphant notes rang out praise and thanksgiving to God for St. Louise and for all the graces He was bestowed upon the world through her.

Leave a comment

Filed under Church History, Louise de Marillac, Pius XI

Canonization of St. Louise de Marillac: Account of March 13, 1934

(From “Chronicle of the American Sisters of the Eastern Province of the Canonization of St. Louise” [1934], used with permission of the Daughters of Charity Provincial Archives)

March 13 [1934] – Second day of the Triduum … [The] audience with the Holy Father [took] place at noon. The wind was blowing gale as we crossed the Tiber to St. Peter’s but wind and everything else was forgotten for the time being. Through the Colonnade into the Vatican Palace, up the marble stairs to the Throne Room. At the far end stood the Pontifical Throne on the left of which were on display all the gifts of our Most Honored Mother to His Holiness … The floor space on the left was filed with the clergy; on the right were the Visitatrices and their Assistants. Sr. Paula and Sister Gertrude were in that group. Above these two sections were tribunes, one on each side, filled with members of the Congregation of the Mission. Beyond this to the door was one sea of cornettes with only a narrow passage between for the Holy Father.

… His Holiness did not appear until about 2:30. He was hailed by loud applause and shouts of “Vive le Pape!” as he entered the hall … [He] addressed the audience for about twenty minutes … At the close of the audience the Holy Father rose and gave us his Pontifical Blessing … The great event was over. We had seen and heard Pius XI and were carrying away within ourselves and for those near and dear to us, the blessing of the Vicar of Christ.

A few familiar American faces appeared amongst the students and priests in the tribunes. Our Western Sisters were pleased to see their Director, Reverend John J. Cronin, C.M., who was accompanied by Father Lavelle.

Leave a comment

Filed under Church History, Louise de Marillac, Pius XI