Category Archives: Ministries

Civil War – Sources for records of Satterlee Hospital, West Philadelphia

The Daughters of Charity’s Civil War collections include Sisters’ recollections of their service at Satterlee. Much of this material has been published in Charity Afire: Pennsylvania, by Sister Betty Ann McNeil. In addition, transcriptions of our Sisters’ accounts are available for research in the Provincial Archives.

Additional information about Satterlee can be found at the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Washington, DC. Satterlee records are part of Record Group 94 (Records of the Adjutant General’s Office), Series “Field Hospital Records”. These records consist of nearly 30 volumes, most of them fairly large. Some of the volumes are arranged chronologically by date of admittance, while others are arranged by a soldier’s regiment and then by date he was admitted.

Another series containing data pertaining to a soldier’s hospitalization is “Carded Medical Records, Civil War” These records are arranged by state, thereunder by the numerical designation of regiments, (i.e., all of a state’s infantry, artillery, cavalry units under the same numerical designation would be filed together); and then by alphabetically by surname.

NARA staff cannot undertake extensive searches for patrons, but they can make these records available their research room. For more information about planning a research visit to their facility in Washington, DC, please go to the NARA web site.

Other records of Satterlee Hospital can be found at the College of Physicians of Philadelphia, Historical Library and Wood Institute
Hospital register
Patient ledger and scrapbook

Contact the College of Physicians of Philadelphia directly for hours and use policies.

Leave a comment

Filed under Civil War, Finding Aids, Genealogy Resources, Health Care, Ministries, Satterlee Hospital

Daughters of Charity helped to build the Washington Monument

Washington Monument under construction

Washington Monument under construction, 1860 (Photo by Matthew Brady, courtesy of the Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division, Washington DC)

(Photograph [c 1860] from the Brady-Handy Collection in the Prints and Photographs Division of the Library of Congress; Annals text reproduced with permission of the Provincial Archives)

Sometimes when you’re scrolling through documents looking for one thing, you stumble upon the most wonderful gems. For instance, we had no idea that the Sisters of Charity of St. Joseph’s and the students of St. Joseph’s Academy helped to build the Washington Monument! On September 8, 1836, the entry in the Provincial Annals notes that “In the morning a gentleman called with a subscription book for the Washington Monument to be erected in Washington City. No individual permitted to subscribe more than one dollar. Father Hickey subscribed one dollar. The institution twelve and the young ladies twenty for which they gave up their pocket money.” We wondered whether this was some scheme like selling the Brooklyn Bridge, but after doing a little Internet research we discovered that this donation project was legitimate, having been started in 1832 by the Washington National Monument Society. The money raised helped to begin the monument’s design and the cornerstone was laid on July 4, 1848. After fits and starts in construction, the monument finally was opened on Feb. 21 (Washington’s Birthday) in 1885. Now, as the iconic obelisk undergoes repairs for damage caused in the 2011 earthquake, it only seems fitting to call attention to that original $33 donation (not an insignificant sum in its day) that helped to raise the monument in the first place.

Leave a comment

Filed under Education, Emmitsburg, Provincial Annals, St. Joseph's Academy, Washington Monument

DCs and Civil War (2)

7-2-8 Marianna Flynn.b

(Exerpt from Life of Mother Mariana Flynn and image of Mother Mariana Flynn used with permission of the Daughters of Charity Provincial Archives)

Mother Mariana Flynn was Visitarix (superior) of the US Province of the Daughters of Charity from 1887 to 1901. One of Mother Mariana’s first missions was at St. Joseph’s Asylum in Richmond, VA. She was serving in Richmond when the Civil War broke out and served there throughout the war. A biography of Mother Mariana written after her death provides details about the asylum and about Richmond at the start of the Civil War.
———————————————————————————————-

In 1861, our young Sister was transferred to St. Joseph’s Asylum, Richmond, Va.

This mission was established in response to a formal application made to Mother Rose White, of happy memory, by Father Timothy O’Brien, a holy and zealous priest: a man of superior administrative ability, tireless zeal, and ardent piety, to whom Catholicity in Richmond owes more than to any other individual. On the feast of St. Cecelia, November 22, 1834, three Sisters left St. Joseph’s to commence the Richmond mission – Sr. Margaret George being named Sister-Servant of the little band. It is a singular coincidence that this Sister was recalled to the Central-House 1837 to fill the office of Treasurer. Sr. Margaret never lost interest in the Virginia foundation; and as a member of the Council, warmly seconded any measures conducive to its welfare. Thus under the kind patronage of Father O’Brien, who proved himself true to his promise to Mother Rose, “that while he had anything , the Sisters should have the greater half,” this humble beginning slowly but steadily progressed, until we find ourselves at the sad and ever memorable epoch of the Civil War when our dear Mother is introduced to this favored mission …

Sr. Blanche Rooney, a woman of extraordinary business talent, and one well fitted to cope with the emergencies crowding upon the country in the shape of a Civil War, was the Sister-Servant at this time. Richmond became the Capital of the Confederacy, and all interest centered there, causing the works of the Asylum to be more prosperous than ever. The school was largely attended; public and sectarian schools had closed, but the boarding and day school of the Asylum enjoyed the most liberal patronage: Methodists, Baptists, all creeds, flocked to the Sisters’ school. The Asylum in addition to its accustomed work, became, during the war, a sort of Central-House or head-quarters, to the Sisters operating in the ambulances and moving with the army of Northern Virginia. At the first approach of suffering, consequent upon war, the devoted and generous Sister Blanche could hardly delay until the Sisters’ services should be solicited by the military authorities; she had already provided herself with the requisite permission from Superiors, and it was not long before the desired summons came. The surgeon of the General Hospital called at the Asylum and earnestly requested that the Sisters should take the direction of this hospital. Sr. Blanche gladly consented and the Sisters commenced their noble work July 26, 1861.

Leave a comment

Filed under Civil War, Ministries