Category Archives: Digitized Collections

Digital Exhibit: American Rule of 1812

In recent weeks we’ve shared with you our efforts, working with conservator Mary Wootton, to preserve one of the most historically valuable items in our collection: The Regulations for the Society of Sisters of Charity in the United States of America, commonly known as the American Rule of 1812.
See our June 19 blog post for more information on the Rule and the process of restoring it.

When the newly-restored Rule was returned in mid-June, we put it on display so that Sisters, Associates, and visitors could see it up close. As of today, July 14, it has been returned to our Repository. Planning has already begun for events surrounding the 40th anniversary of Elizabeth Seton’s canonization in 2015, and there will be additional opportunities to view the Rule next year.

In an effort to share the Rule as widely as possible, we have put together the digital exhbit seen here, consisting of photographs of selected pages from the Rule. All images are used with permission of the Daughters of Charity Provincial Archives. The images seen here show seven of the book’s approximately 60 leaves.

American Rule (1): Opening page

American Rule (1): Opening page

American Rule

American Rule (2)

American Rule (3)

American Rule (3)

American Rule (4)

American Rule (4)

American Rule (5)

American Rule (5)

Detail from image #5 showing crossed out text and annotations

Detail from image #5 showing crossed out text and annotations

American Rule (6)

American Rule (6)

American Rule (7)

American Rule (7)

2 Comments

Filed under Digitized Collections, Elizabeth Ann Seton, Exhibits, Sisters of Charity Federation, Sisters of Charity of St. Joseph's

Digital exhibit of Vincent letters at DePaul University

Vincent letters

Examples of Vincent de Paul letters at DePaul University (Image courtesy of DePaul University Office of Mission and Values)

View the exhibit

DePaul University announces its premier digital exhibit of manuscript letters of Saint Vincent de Paul (1581-1660). This collection represents the largest of the Saint’s extant holographic documents outside of Europe. These documents are the cornerstone of DePaul’s Vincentian Studies Collection, which includes multidisciplinary resources pertaining to scholarship about Saint Vincent and the Vincentian Family. For more information on the broader collection, see the Vincentian Research Guide.

To view any of these letters, go to http://libservices.org/contentdm/handwritten-letters.php and simply click on the timeline date, or letter itself. In addition, each marker on the European map represents the location where a letter was sent, and clicking on a marker will pull up an individual letter.

The letters range in date from 1641 to 1660, a fertile period during Vincent’s life during which his influence was at its height. By his death on September 27, 1660, he was the administrator of a vast network of religious and charitable endeavors, and one of the most well-known and revered figures in France.

Each letter includes a transcription and translation of the respective text. The transcriptions are taken from Vincent de Paul: Correspondence, Entretiens, Documents (Librairie Lecoffre, 1920-1925), edited by Pierre Coste, C.M. The English translations are taken from Vincent de Paul: Correspondence, Conferences, Documents (New City Press, 1985-2010), translated and edited by Sister Marie Poole, D.C., editor-in-chief, of the Vincent Translation Project.

The kind assistance of DePaul University’s Office of Mission and Values, the Vincentian Studies Institute, and DePaul University Library made this collection possible.

Leave a comment

Filed under Announcements, DePaul University, Digitized Collections, Exhibits, Vincent de Paul

Digital Exhibit – Treasures from the Archives of the Sisters of Charity Federation

This digital exhibit is the companion to physical exhibit mounted by the Daughters of Charity Provincial Archives for a meeting of archivists from Sisters of Charity Federation member communities, held October 25-26, 2013, in Emmitsburg, MD. These images, selected from items used in the physical exhibit, are reproduced here with the permission of the contributing archives.

An Archivist Prayer
Lord, let us remember that
The trailblazers of yesterday
Are our traditions today
Boxed and labeled and
cataloged
They leap from our shelves
Our forebears who fashioned
new stories to tell.
Their spirit escapes in new
patterns, new plans
Our web site of findings that
links and expands
To whatever the future is
wanting to give.
Lord, let your Spirit spur us
To tell the pulse of our work.
In our quest for the best.
Amen.
Written for the Archivists of Congregations of Women Religious by
Sister Ann Courtney, Sisters of Charity of New York
August, 1997

SC Nazareth founders

Sisters of Charity of Nazareth, KY. The Sisters’ founders: left, Mother Emerentiana Handlovits (1869-1935) who founded the Vincentian Sisters of Charity in 1902, and right, Mother Catherine Spalding (1793-1858) who founded the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth in 1812. [Image published with permission of the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth Archival Center]


Mother Margaret George

Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati, OH. Mother Margaret Farrell George (1787-1868), who founded the Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati in 1852. [Image published with permission of the Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati]


Mother Elizabeth Boyle, Sisters of Charity of New York

Sisters of Charity of New York. Mother Elizabeth Boyle (1788-1861), first superior of the Sisters of Charity of New York (1846-1849) (Courtesy Sisters of Charity of New York)


Sisters of Charity of Halifax, arrival in Halifax

Sisters of Charity, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. This painting presents the four founding Sisters of Charity: Sisters Mary Basilia McCann, Mary Cornelia Tinney, Mary Vincent Kerr, and Mary Rose McAleer arriving in Halifax from New York on May 11, 1849. Answering the request of Bishop William Walsh, the Sisters immediately set up an orphanage and began teaching. In 1856, Pope Pius IX approved the new congregation of the Sisters of Charity of Saint Vincent de Paul, Halifax. The congregation received papal status June 10, 1913. [Painting by S. Agnes Berchmans, SC-Halifax, from the collection of the Sisters of Charity-Halifax Congregational Archives, used with permission]


SC Seton Hill

Sisters of Charity of Seton Hill, Greensburg, PA
The Sisters’ first mission in Arizona, Saints Peter and Paul in Tucson, 1933. [Image published with permission of the Sisters of Charity of Seton Hill]


Sister Frances McEnnis


Daughters of Charity, Province of the West, Los Altos Hills, CA. Sister Frances McEnnis (1812-1879), Sister Servant of the group of Daughters of Charity who in 1852 came to San Francisco to establish an orphanage and school. [Image published with permission of the Daughters of Charity Archives, Province of the West]


Sisters of St. Martha, founders.

Sisters of Saint Martha, Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada. The 15 founding sisters of the Sisters of St. Martha, established in 1900. [Image published with permission of the Sisters of St. Martha, Bethany Archives]


Base Hospital 102, Loyola Unit

Daughters of Charity, Province of St. Louise, Emmitsburg, MD. Ten Daughters of Charity, together with the civilian nurses and Army medical staff of the Loyola Unit, serving at Base Hospital #102 in Vicenza, Italy, August 1917 to May 1919. [Image published with permission of the Daughters of Charity Provincial Archives]


SC Leavenworth THE LANDING

Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth, KS. “The Landing,” a painting depicting the arrival of the Sisters of Charity in Leavenworth in 1858. [“The Landing,” copyrighted by the estate of Ernst Ulmer, the artist]


SC Convent Station first Mother House

Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth, Convent Station, NJ. First Motherhouse in Newark, Sept. 29, 1859, to July 2, 1860. [Image published with the permission of the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth]


St. Francis Xavier Hospital

Sisters of Charity of Our Lady of Mercy, Charleston, SC. Sister Bernardine McGinley and graduates of the Class of 1912 of St. Francis Xavier Hospital Nursing School, Charleston, the state’s first Catholic hospital and nursing school. [Image published with the permission of the Sisters of Charity of Our Lady of Mercy, Charleston, South Carolina]

1 Comment

Filed under Digitized Collections, Exhibits