Another important aspect of the Sisters’ work in health care was nursing education. From the 1890s to the 1970s, nursing education was based in hospitals. Many Daughter of Charity hospitals had schools of nursing associated with them. Nursing students would have learned from textbooks such as those featured in the catalog below, from W.B. Sanders Company, West Washington Square, Philadelphia. Based on Worldcat searches for some of the titles, we think the catalog was printed around 1915.
Sanders was a publisher of academic medical books. The company was founded in Philadelphia in 1888 by Walter Burns Sanders. Originally independent, the company was acquired in the 1960s by CBS, where it became part of their publishing division Holt, Rinehart & Winston. When CBS left the publishing field in 1986, it sold the academic publishing units to Harcourt Brace Jovanovich. Harcourt was acquired by Reed Elsevier in 2001.