(Image of Sisters travel receipt used with permission of the Daughters of Charity Provincial Archives)
On November 10, 1833, ten Sisters of Charity of St. Joseph’s left St. Joseph’s Valley for New Orleans. The Sisters had served in New Orleans since 1830; these Sisters were going there to begin serving at Charity Hospital. The Daughters did not establish Charity Hospital – it had been in existence since the 1730s. However, Charity Hospital was a significant Daughter of Charity ministry in New Orleans for more than 150 years.
Today the Daughters of Charity maintain an active presence in healthcare ministry in New Orleans with Daughters of Charity Services of New Orleans (DCSNO). DCSNO’s four health care centers are conveniently located in Bywater, Carrollton, Metairie and New Orleans East, offering primary and preventive health services to all—with special attention to the uninsured and underinsured.