(Image from the St. Joseph’s College Valley Echo, October 22, 1947, used with permission of the Daughters of Charity Provincial Archives)
On October 24-26, 2013 the Provincial Archives will host a meeting of archivists from Sisters of Charity Federation member communities. As we prepare to welcome our colleagues from the Federation, it is appropriate to look back at the Federation’s origins. The photo above shows the October 22, 1947 issue of the St. Joseph’s College newspaper, the Valley Echo, which includes a banner headline announcing the First Conference of Mother Seton’s Daughters. “Conference of Mother Seton’s Daughters” is the original name of what is now known as the Sisters of Charity Federation. The first meeting, held in Emmitsburg on October 28 and 29, 1947, arose out a suggestion by the Most Reverend Amleto Giovanni Cicognani, Apostolic Delegate to the United States, that the American communities which traced their roots to Elizabeth Ann Seton should unite in their efforts to promote Mother Seton’s cause for canonization.
In 1947 the property just to the south of our current building, now occupied by FEMA, housed both the Central House for the Daughters of Charity Emmitsburg Province and the campus of St. Joseph’s College, a liberal arts college for women operated by the Daughters of Charity until the early 1970s.
Elizabeth Ann Seton was beatified in 1963 and canonized in 1975.