Exhibit to open June 30: “Swan Song”

Swan Song - poster

Our new exhibit, “Swan Song”, opens June 30 in Provincial Archives Gallery 2 (painting by Hartnett, used with permission of Daughters of Charity Provincial Archives)

(Images used with permission of the Daughters of Charity Provincial Archives)

“It won’t make headlines, perhaps, but it will certainly make heart lines. For, on September 20, 1964, the white cornette of the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul will disappear from the world. Literally from the world, since on five continents and in sixty-five countries the white starched headdress with its widespread wings will never again be seen … For more than three centuries the cornette has been, as one of our recent Popes remarked, ‘The international symbol of Charity, even as the cross is the international symbol of Faith.’ … ”
–Sister Catherine Sullivan, 1964

The Provincial Archives’ new exhibit, Swan Song: Looking Back at the 1964 Habit Change, will open on June 30 in Provincial Archives Gallery 2, and will run through October 17.

On September 20, 1964, Daughters of Charity all over the world set aside their traditional habit, with its beloved cornette. Through photographs, artwork, oral history, and artifacts Swan Song will look back at the change in the Daughters’ habit and the experiences of the Sisters who went through it.

2 Comments

Filed under Announcements, Exhibits, Habit

New Exhibit: Conservation of the American Rule of 1812

The newly-restored 1812 American Rule (front, center), now on display in the Provincial Archives. In the background are images of three of the restored pages

The newly-restored 1812 American Rule (front, center), now on display in the Provincial Archives. In the background are images of three of the restored pages


(Images used with permission of Daughters of Charity Provincial Archives)

Our collections are unique and irreplaceable, and preservation measures are an ongoing activity for the Provincial Archives. The Provincial Archives, working with conservator Mary Wootton, has just completed conservation treatments for one of the most historically valuable items in our collection: The Regulations for the Society of Sisters of Charity in the United States of America, commonly known as the American Rule of 1812.

Conserving the American Rule was a labor-intensive process, as each of the book’s 60 leaves received attention. Mary’s treatment plan involved several steps. After removing the binding, she washed all the pages in special solution. She then removed strips of tape that had been used to repair the volume at the beginning of the twentieth century. She then repaired the newly-cleaned leaves and re-bound the book. According to Mary, the American Rule is now in a condition very close to its original condition at the time it was written in 1812.

This is one of the most important pieces in our collection because it is the common link for all members of the Sisters of Charity Federation. It is the first American translation of the Vincentian Rule. For this reason, too, it is important for the Sisters of Charity who descend from St. Elizabeth Ann Seton.

Preserving the legacy of Mother Seton, seen in documents such as the American Rule, is an important part of our stewardship responsibilities. Thanks to Mary’s efforts, the American Rule will be available for many years into the future.

The restored American Rule is now on display in Gallery 2. It is open to the public on Wednesday afternoons; open to Sisters and Associates on the Emmitsburg Campus during our normal hours (8am to 4:30pm Monday through Friday).

Opening page of the restored American Rule

Opening page of the restored American Rule


Another page from the restored American Rule

Another page from the restored American Rule

7 Comments

Filed under Elizabeth Ann Seton, Exhibits, Preservation, Sisters of Charity Federation, Sisters of Charity of St. Joseph's

Sister Formation Movement and Marillac College, St. Louis

Marillac College students in class, 1960. Some twenty-five communities sent Sisters to Marillac and all took classes together (used with permission of Daughters of Charity Provincial Archives)

Marillac College students in class, 1960. Some twenty-five communities sent Sisters to Marillac and all took classes together (used with permission of Daughters of Charity Provincial Archives)

Forty years ago, Marillac College in St. Louis closed its doors and graduated its last class of Sister students. Marillac, begun in the late 1950s and located on the grounds of the provincial house of the former St. Louis Province, was unique in that it was a Sister Formation College. It combined a liberal arts education with the spiritual formation of young Sisters. A 1963 article in The SIGN Magazine described Marillac as:

“a nun’s place, a shining, modern $5.5 million place on a 180-acre estate where college life is lived to its fullest in a nun’s habit. In this sense Marillac is a college like any other, but it is also unique because of its position at the forefront of the Sister Formation Movement, which aims at improved training of nuns. Ultimately, some 170,000 U.S. nuns are involved in the consequences of the movement, as well as six million students in Catholic elementary and high schools who come under the influence of nuns in the classroom.

Marillac, aware of the stake and its role, prizes its sudden success as a new college whose first degrees were awarded only four years ago. Yet, it already has achieved accreditation with highest commendation from the North Central Association of Secondary Schools and Colleges, the same prestige accreditation accorded undergraduate studies at Chicago or Saint Louis Universities. Moreover, the Sacred Congregation for Religious in Rome has singled out the college for special praise.

Both accolades stem from Marillac’s pursuit of excellence under the aegis of the Sister Formation Movement, which came to the fore in the past ten years in response to directives from Pope Pius XII stressing the best possible training tailored for religious. Many orders established special college programs for their members, but the Daughters of Charity of St. Louis Province went a few giant steps further. They not only built Marillac for their own members but opened its classroom doors – free of charge – to religious communities throughout the country. Besides the 25 orders represented in the student body of 350, a cross-section of 15 different orders have members on the faculty.

… For Daughters of Charity, who comprise about two-thirds of the student body, Marillac provides a five-year program, with the novitiate year coming between freshman and sophomore years in the college. Students from other orders normally enter in sophomore year and live off campus in their own juniorates under the direction of a mistress. This enables the young nuns to maintain the distinctive spirit of their orders. Moreover, Marillac turns the nuns over to the rules of their respective orders every day between noon and three o’clock, producing a kaleidoscopic round of religious life, manifested in twenty-five different ways.”

After the College closed, the College grounds and buildings were sold to the University of Missouri-St. Louis. They are now used primarily for studies in the health sciences.

3 Comments

Filed under Education, Formation, Ministries, Pius XII